Sunday, May 10, 2009

how to

Obviously I couldn't wait to try the technique myself... so here's how to weave pibiones
(the word, in Sardinian dialect, means grape)

Warp and weft are the same, while the extra weft is thicker.
I think I like best the monochrome version, where the design resulting from the contrast
between plain weave and the little grapes is not so obvious.
The diameter of the stick goes according to the thickness of the weft - just like knitting.
Normally the stick is made of metal, but at that moment I only had a wooden needle available!

Step 1 :: according to your design, count the warp threads and wrap the extra weft on the stick.
This is a bit tricky, as the tension of the extra weft on the stick has to be even in order to get
pibiones
of the same size, but it only takes a bit of practice.















































Step 2 :: once you finish a row, secure it with a pick of plain weave
(here traditionally there would be 3 picks of plain weave between one row and the other).
Leave the needle in place.
























Step 3 :: remove the needle and get ready for another row, following your design!

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you for posting how to do this technique. Like you, I think I'd like to try it too!
--Jessica

Bev said...

It really looks time consuming, but I think if it were, for example, the end panels of a placemat, it would bo so worth it. Thanks for showing it.

jane said...

Hi Donatella! Thanks for visiting! OMG your blog is gorgeous. Brilliant photos and interesting posts. I´m also obsessed with textiles. I used to own a textile shop and would travel all around europe buying for the shop. Fun times...Will be back often. Un beso-Jane

Margreet said...

Doni,
Very interesting this! Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

I love that texture

Anonymous said...

That looks so neat! And like a lot of fun to do. I'll definitely be giving it a try at some point. Thank you so much for explaining how to do it! I've never seen this technique before now.

By the way - I just made my very first one-stripe bag using your tutorial. I love how it turned out! I have fabric for two more waiting to head to the sewing machine. As soon as I've taken pictures, I'll be sure and show them to you :-) Thank you for sharing the how-to on those also!

Donatella said...

Thank you all! I suggest you have a go with this technique - it is time consuming but I've also seen it used only for borders: a linen towel had only a few rows of a simple pattern, and it was very elegant!

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. Thanks for posting this. Your work looks beautiful as usual.

sampling said...

Thank you Doni. It looks most interesting and I will try it one day.... Your work is so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your site, and your weaving is beautiful. I see how you save your thrums, and I saw this idea on this blog
http://crazyasaloom.blogspot.com/
of how she puts her thrums into a bird suet feeder for birds to take away the thrums for their nest. Scroll down and look on the left side for the idea.
Jaimie

Anonymous said...

Thanks Doni for explaining this technique. It looks like heaps of fun :) I will be trying this out for sure.
Shirley