Monday, May 04, 2009

is gancios

While in Sardinia I couldn't miss the chance to see and learn more
on traditional textiles so we went to Samugheo, a village in the centre of the island,
famous for its textile heritage and its museum.


A visit to the museum, and a visit to the weaving studio of Isabella Frongia
[unfortunately she hasn't got a website] and I was completely hooked.
In my mind - don't ask me why - I had always dismissed traditional textiles
from Sardinia as boring and dated, nothing that I would ever want in my home
or want to weave myself.


That was because I had never seen the real thing before.
I saw colours and techniques, and motifs, and potential for a lot of weaving to be done!







samugheo
in Samugheo traditional motifs decorate even the buildings

samugheo
the entrance to Isabella's studio

samugheo

samugheo

samugheo
the traditional loom - every household used to have one

samugheo
Isabella weaving the pibiones for a cushion.



2 comments:

Margreet said...

Doni, it looks like you had an interesting time in Sardinia. I love all your photos. It will be interesting to see how it will influence your own work now.

Anonymous said...

Doni - I love the photos of Sardinia and the tradional textiles, especially in a contemporary setting. A place to plan a visit. Thanks! Evelyn